Saturday, February 13, 2010

Crazy Pants

I got back on track with my Miribilia (Emerald Mermaid) last night during the opening ceremonies. She looked like this yesterday.


As textile people, I am sure we all noticed some of the better outfits. (A note to Ralph Lauren: You're booooooooooooooring.) The first category I noticed was "crazy pants." The Czechs did okay here, but the Azerbaijanis came first. (Sorry for the link; I couldn't find a free photo.) I was also impressed with the really cute green jackets worn by the Slovenians. (The photo is in the header; it's third.) Cute jackets on the Russians too.

When I was growing up in New Hampshire (home of Bode Miller), they used to say that if you started skiing after age 10, you'd never be any good. (I started skiing at 10.) I think that's because that's the age when you begin to understand self-preservation. Most winter sports require you push yourself to the edge of self-preservation--I mean it is completely unnatural to fly down snowy or icy surfaces at incredible speeds with only a helmet for protection. If you think about it, the Winter Olympic sports are a lot more dangerous than most of the summer sports. But there has to be something about these athletes that looks death right in the face and spits.

Nevertheless, I was incredibly saddened by the death of Georgian athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili. It seems to me that even though these athletes are willing to shush themselves about at 90 miles an hour, it's up to the rest of us to do something about protecting them. Building a track with bare steel supports that is only fit for the top 5-10 athletes in the world...competition isn't only about world records. It's also about the fun of a 51 year old Mexican skier, kids from Africa who discover snow and decide they want to ski, or (forgive me) Eddie the Eagle. A lot of "also rans" make it to the Olympics, but they're still worth protecting. Let's hope (or pray, if you do that sort of thing) that the athletes stay safe in Vancouver.

5 comments:

  1. I'm naieve and thought they might postpone the Opening Ceremonies due to his death. I've read a few articles this morning about that luge track and apparently the Canadians have known for a while that it was unsafe and also, I read that the Canadians would not let anyone train in their facilities so this week was the first time many athletes were able to try out the luge and quite a few crashed(inexperience has been blamed for the Georgian's crash, but it appears that's not necessarily the problem). I'm interested to see how this plays out, one writer suggests canceling all luge events until this track can be made safer or let the men use the women's track.

    Loved the crazy pants and I think the Czechs were my favorite. They were wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to like about crazy pants? I agree that the luge track could have been made safer. How sad for the family of that poor young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, what articles are you reading? It's a lie! The luge track was open in December 2007 and there was over 5000 runs on this truck before the tragic accident. The sport itself is a very dangerous one not that the track is unsafe. And I didn't see athletes pack their bags and refuse to compete. There was even disappointment between many in regards to lowering the start.

    My favorite is ski jumping. Unfortunately none of the Canadian jumpers even qualify but Poland won silver! Since I am Canadian born and raised in Poland I cheer for both teams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, there were a lot of reports (in the US at least) before the Olympics even started that the track ran fast and was more dangerous (accidents and injuries count, not just death). Especially since the Canadians wouldn't allow sliders onto the track before the games.

    Frankly, how do we know one death in 5000 runs is a good rate? How many deaths have occurred on other tracks? I'd need to know that before I came to a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, I don't think there is a "good rate". Accidents happen in dangerous sports no matter how safe are tracks or ski hills. It happen also to Polish-born luger. He died on the track in Austria couple weeks before the opening ceremony.

    I'm driving to work every day and over time there were many accidents and deaths on same highways that we are driving. Should we stop driving until all roads are "safe"? Or should we master our driving skills and avoid accidents?

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/12/sportsline/main6202560.shtml

    ReplyDelete